GOAL 3 – PROVIDE TARGETED SUPPORT FOR MOST PROMISING INDUSTRY SECTORS/CLUSTERS
Based on a preliminary cluster analysis by EDA ERSF, with added input from the stakeholder session and survey, nine promising current and emerging industries seem to have the most potential for growth in the SPREDD region.
- Medical device manufacturing
- Pharmaceutical manufacturing
- Value-added agricultural production/export
- Tourism and Creative Industries
- Transportation and Logistics (Port and Airport)
- Shipbuilding, repair, and dismantling
- Private and small air cargo aircraft repair
- Aquaculture and Blue Infrastructure Development
- Furniture and related specialty products manufacturing
- Healthcare, focused specialized care to attract foreign patients (medical tourism) by means of capitalizing on the healthcare-related assets in the region.
- Information Technology, focused on non-crypto blockchain, internet of things, and AI
BRING REPRESENTATIVE COMPANY LEADERS FROM EACH SECTOR TOGETHER TO DISCUSS NEEDS AND OPPORTUNITIES
By collaborating, industries can achieve more than working apart. Identify universal issues like workforce and transportation that do not require a high level of interdependence and trust. Initial success in such issues has been proven to build those traits, which can then serve as a foundation for more interdependence to explore joint purchasing, marketing, and even production/distribution. Moving from destructive competition to collaboration and trust will move these from sectors to clusters.
WORK WITH THE SOUTHERN PUERTO RICO CHAMBER OF COMMERCE AND REGIONAL INDUSTRY GROUPS
Work to assess infrastructure, workforce, and transportation/distribution needs. Often, companies struggle in silence because they are unaware of programs and services that may assist them. In addition, both individual companies and clusters can influence public funding and projects for both their interests and overall regional issues. Development of a real-time portal for businesses and communities to express their needs could be an effective way to have continuous communication with business, NGO, and community- based organizations to address common needs.
GOAL 3 – METRICS TO MONITOR